Musik-Sammler.de - Forum

Diskussionen um Musik-Sammler.de und natürlich über Musik selber.

Du bist nicht angemeldet.

#1 08.05.2013 14:39:00

denovali
Mitglied

19.5. - Greg Haines + Poppy Ackroyd - Essen Zeche Zollverein

Hallo zusammen.

Am 19.05.2013 steigt im Foyer der Halle 12 auf dem altehrwürdigen wunderbaren Zeche Zollverein Gelände in Essen ein besonderes Schmankerl: Welterbe Zollverein und Denovali Records präsentieren die beiden britischen Komponisten Greg Haines und Poppy Ackroyd. Es wird ein Matinee Konzert werden, welches gegen 16 Uhr startet - sprich ein vorheriger Spaziergang über das Zollvereingelände + der obligatorische Tatort danach könnten zusammen mit dem Konzert den 19.05. für euch zu einer runden Geschichte werden lassen.

Vorab den Klängen lauschen kann man via:
www.denovali.com/greghaines
www.denovali.com/poppyackroyd

Ticketpreorder:
www.denovali.com/zollverein

Ein Konzert für die ganze Familie - also nicht vergessen auch Oma, Opa und den Eltern Bescheid zu geben.
Besten Dank.
Denovali

Weitere Details:
Facebook Event: www.facebook.com/events/488566657864467
LastFm Event: www.lastfm.de/event/3567445+Denovali+Label+Evening+VIII

emg_zeche_zollverein_nacht_speziell_0900_0700_sv.jpg

GREG HAINES (uk)

greghaines.jpg

Greg Haines is an English musician and composer who has been living in Berlin since 2008. He was born in a small town in the south of England in the 1980s, where he began from a young age to develop an interest in sound and the devices used to create it. At this point, Greg began to develop his piano (and eventually cello) playing, alongside slowly finding his way around in the world of production, which led to assembling a rudimentary bedroom studio set-up and beginning to record tracks on his own. After some years of experimenting, eventually the album 'Slumber Tides' was created and released in 2006. The album was critically acclaimed worldwide, leading to the opening track, 'Snow Airport', being used on the Universal/Point Music compilation 'Reflections on Classical Music', alongside compositions from some of the very composers who inspired it, such as Gavin Bryars and Philip Glass.

In the wake of his debut, Greg toured extensively and began to develop as a live performer, and in particular as an improviser with a wide range of various musicians. To date, Greg has toured throughout Europe, Japan, Australia and the USA. In March 2010, 'Until the Point of Hushed Support' was released, a fortyeight minute composition written for string quintet, church organ, piano, percussion, electronics and a whole array of other sounds and textures that were carefully constructed over two years. Later, in March 2012, "Digressions" was released. The album includes performances by Peter Broderick and violinist Iden Reinhart, as well as an 18 piece student ensemble. The album was largely seen as a great success, with one reviewer for Fluid Radio writing

“...Well over a month I’ve been listening to it, and I still cannot for the life of me work out why I think it is one of the best records I have ever heard, one that has clicked with me like few else recently. Music is subjective, and what is a masterpiece to me may sound like nothing of the sort to you; an assessment based solely on my opinion and little else. Still, if I was to put money on it, I’d say that ‘Digressions’ is going to be talked about for some years, and will in hindsight be the point where the Haines’ trajectory will be seen to trend sharply upwards.”

Since 2008, Greg has also been working regularly as a composer for dance, creating music for choreographers such as Meg Stuart (Berlin), Ina Christel Johannessen (Oslo), and the MD Collective (Cologne). In February 2012, Greg premiered a new work with contemporary Ballet choreographer David Dawson, the Holland Symfonia and the Dutch National Ballet as part of their 50th anniversary celebrations. Roslyn Sulcas for The New York Times wrote:

“The work is dark, both literally and metaphorically, but also exquisitely, wrenchingly, beautiful; a world of its own that draws you ineluctably within.”

2013 is set to be a big year. In May, Denovali Records will release “Where We Were”, a new album which focuses on synthesizers and percussion. Alongside work in various other projects that will be announced as the year continues, Haines will also be scoring the new ballet by David Dawson, to be premiered in November at the Royal Opera House in London, with The Royal Ballet.

POPPY ACKROYD (UK)

poppy.jpg

Poppy Ackroyd is a performer and composer from London who is currently based in Edinburgh. Classically trained on violin and piano, she fell in love with contemporary piano music and with the piano beyond the keys, discovering the world of sound that could be made from other parts of the instrument. Realising the violin had the same potential, she has spent the last few years composing delicate, intricate and beautifully atmospheric music by manipulating and multi-tracking sounds from these two instruments.

Her songs stay true to this idea. Every sound, with the exception of a few field recordings, is created using only either the piano or the violin. The songs are a combination of piano melodies and chords - played both conventionally or created inside the piano using fingers, e-bows and plectrums - violin textures, melodies and pizzicato riffs and finally delicate beats composed of hits, plucks, taps and scrapes made using hands, drumsticks, beaters and small cymbals on either the frame, strings or dampers of the piano. There are often five or more different percussive lines working alongside each other.

In order to compose in this way, Poppy had to learn how to record and produce the music herself, as working with someone else would have been far too time consuming. Having discovered and restored a beautiful but neglected grand piano, she bought a laptop, digital recorder and speakers. Everything from the piano is recorded in her home studio with just this one microphone.

For the last few years Poppy has been recording and touring extensively with HIDDEN ORCHESTRA (Tru Thoughts Records, Denovali Records), composing and performing live soundtracks for contemporary dance and physical theatre works, and collaborating with other musicians, artists, filmmakers, actors, sound designers and radio documentary producers.

Fußzeile des Forums